Signs you have a reading addiction

They say the art of letter writing is dead. Well, I've been writing letters to my least favourite season. 


Here are a couple of recent ones: 


Dear Winter: You suck. Just saying. 


Dear Winter: I'm just not that into you. In fact, I'm so over you. If you haven't packed up your flakes and left by the end of the day, they will be shovelled into a pile at the end of the walk. 


Okay, you get it - I'm hating winter right now. Except for the fact that you can use the weather as an excuse to curl up in a big soft chair, cup of tea in reach, with an animal companion on your lap and read ... read ... read! 


Hello, my name is Jan and I'm addicted to reading. If you're reading this blog you're probably addicted to reading as well.


I was talking about reading addictions with a similarly inflicted friend. She's been accused of having to read each and every night before being able to get to sleep. 


Excerpt from my email to her:
It’s a shame that your addiction to books is so sever that you need a shot of a couple of chapters each night before bed to help you sleep. Maybe you can adopt a more social acceptable way to fall asleep and take drugs or drink until you slip into a stupor! LOL
She is afraid that her reading addiction is hereditary. 


An excerpt from her email ... 


I'm afraid my addiction is now affecting my child....A chapter a night of Dead Frog on the Porch since she met you.  We "shot" Chapter 10 tonight.....I'm afraid I'll start finding books in her backpack....telltale paper cuts on her hands....her teachers will send home notes about her trying to read in class....egad....and the dreaded day that I hear that she is reading at lunch or recess....LOL


Definite cause for concern. 


Here are other ways to tell that you are addicted to reading:


- you carry a book with you at all times lest there be a break in the action we call life;


- you will only buy a purse if it is big enough to fit a standard sized book (or your kindle);


- you crack open a vampire novel during a break at a business meeting;


- relatives ask you to join the party at family functions and you have to put your book away; 


- you break out into a panic/sweat when you discover, on the bus, that you don't have a book in your book bag and you actually have to look outside and observe life until you get to work;


- you go to NY for five days, bring three books and buy more there;


- Paris, London, NY, Tokyo, small town on the bald butt prairies - first thing you do is look for a book store. 


- you keep buying books even though your to-be-read shelf is heaving like mine;


Elvis perches on the next book I will read on my to-be-read shelf
- even your animal companions have started reading!

You know I can't read with out my glasses!
Cosmo - awesome kat companion to my friend Ruth and her son Graeme!

Comments

Anne R. Allen said…
Reading addicts, there is hope! If drugs and booze don't work, try chocolate.
Yes, I would say you're definitely addicted. But there are definitely worse addictions! And from one addict to another, all I can say is, Don't Fight It. :)
Jan Markley said…
Hmmm ... chocolate covered book! A combination of two good ideas Anne.

Jennifer, I won't fight it. In fact, I can't wait to finish the book I'm reading now to get on to the next one!
Jan Markley said…
That's my friend Ruth's cat. The cat was just sitting there and her son put the glasses on and they snapped it. Great pic!

Popular Posts