Off to Portland and a word about characters!


I'm off to Portland for a few days to enjoy my nephew's wedding, hang out with my relies, and discover a new city.

I came across this blog post on the Blog of Impossible Things that I want to share. Ostensibly (big word, right?) it's about this random meeting that the blogger has in a Portland coffee shop with the man who invented computers. Yes, you read that right, but take a minute to re-read that sentence on the computer that this man invented.

It's a cool blog post, and profound about our relationship with technology.

And for me it also speaks to character development. On the surface, he saw an old man and assumed he was probably computer illiterate along with all the other stereotypes we have about old people.

We can use this when we develop characters. There are certain assumptions that one makes when we describe someone's age, ability and physical appearance. Deepen your character development by giving your character complex emotions, characteristics, and inner conflict that goes beyond the physical that will surprise the reader and create well rounded characters.   

In the meantime, I'll be scouring Portland coffee shops looking for the old guy who invented the computer - maybe I can get him to program my PVR remote, my cat walked all over it and dis-engaged the codes. 

I'll also be visiting Powell's City of Books. They only have a million books - I expect they'll have a few less when I'm done with them! 

It's a city people! A whole city of books!
With directions and everything! 

Comments

Lori Hahnel said…
Enjoy the wedding! Hope to hear all about it when you get back.
Jan Markley said…
Thanks Lori! See ya soon!

Popular Posts