It must be book launch season!

There are a few distinct seasons in Canada - Fall: ushered in by Thanksgiving with awesome amounts of turkey, stuffing and the near famous Skor Cheesecake my niece and I make! 
Well, that went fast! 

My demented halloween cat! 
That is followed quickly by halloween at which time I affix my demented halloween cat decoration to the side of my house and my small neighbours show up on my step and ask if I have any sidewalk chalk decorating needs that they can fulfill.  
Then the leaves begin to fall and as the nights grow longer and your facebook events tab is filled up with events you know it is the start of another season in Canada: book launch season! 

Here is a recent snap of my to be read shelf (don't show them the other shelf where you started a pile of books you've borrowed from your y/a author friends Jan and don't talk about the books you continue to take out of the library!) You'll see lots of titles written by my local writing peeps and many more. 
Heaving with words ... to be read! 

Which is why I instituted the rule that I can't buy more books unless they are written by my friends (or are for research purposes). Said rule has been broken countless times since -- baby steps.  

Well, I have no shortage of friends who write books so there is no fear of that shelf being clear for a long time! 

Here's a short list of my writing peeps launches coming up, in this, the Canadian season of book launches.   



First on the docket is Chris Turner's collection of literary non-fiction essays: How to Breathe Underwater. Wednesday October 8th, 6 pm - 9 pm, Shelf Life Books 1302-4th Street SW.  



Second on the docket is Lori Hahnel's launch of her new novel After You've Gone (Thistledown Press). It's Thursday October 9th from 7-9:30 at Memorial Park Library 12th Ave @ 2 st. SW Calgary. There will be musical guests and refreshments (that's writer code for wine!). 

Let's hear it for some pretty stellar cover designs!

And of course I can't forget my children's author/illustrator peeps!

The Young Alberta Book Society is having a Smorgasbook (substitute books for food and you get where they are going with this)!



Smorgasbook!

A Buffet of Youth Literature

Join the young Alberta Book Society for a showcase of ten new children's and YA books by Albertan authors.

November 12, 2014
Book sales start at 6:30, the showcase presentation starts at 7pm. 

Whitemud Crossing Library Theatre, 4211-106 St. NW Edmonton
Attendance is free. Donations gratefully accepted at the door.

Marty Chan, Natasha Deen, Carolyn Fisher, Joan Galat, Georgia Graham, Larry Loyie, Lorna Schultz Nicholson, Diane Mae Robinson, Jim Sellers, and Karen Spafford-Fitz will be presenting their new works. Copies will be available for sale.

Solid line up of writers and illustrators of books in a wide range of genres and age groups. 

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Christmas shopping made easy! 

Plus too many launches to list here - check the events page of your local independent book store for more launches! Coming to a book store near you!

And next time, leave a slice of cheese cake for me, eh! Jeez!

Comments

Popular Posts