Breathe Deep and Go - Jocosa of the Earrings Update Part 2

When we left off at the end of Jocosa of the Earrings Update Part 1, our protagonist er, heroine Jocosa was taking Lisa Rector's advice and looking for what worked in each scene. 
I'll let Jocosa take it from there ...  


Each scene had a clear purpose. I exited scenes in the midst of tension, and the dramatic action for my protagonist increased as the pages turned. My favorite scenes were those with a shared POV (one scene told from two different perspectives). I was also pleased with the way my protagonist’s journey ended, and since the beginning needs to be in contrast with the end… where did that leave me?

Itching to start.

First step: purge. I slashed and cut every section of the opening that was overdone, unnecessary, boring and anything that would prevent my heroine from moving forward. What was left?  Not much. But what remained was the spine of each scene.

 Next: sculpting. Now that each scene’s purpose was exposed, I could zero in on the internal tension that would catapult my heroine into the next action/scene. I also determined which scenes needed to be shared. Wham Bam: a finished draft. For the moment.


After letting it ferment a few days I began the proofing and refining so that I wouldn’t be embarrassed when I sent it off to my writing pals, which I did near the end of August. They in turn gave me fabulous feedback—identified info dumps I’d become numb to, revealed more clichés and asked spot on questions that forced me to clarify motivations and intentions. More purging, tweaking and plumbing.

Back to my readers. A thumbs up. I trusted them, but I wanted one last look because I also trusted Lisa Rector. In her 
Eleventh Hour Checklist workshop, she said if you are questioning your manuscript on any level, you’re not done. I could relate. Though I knew each previous draft was better than the last, my inner critic would linger with her “Think what you want, but” expression on her face, and I’d start again. Thank goodness.

But when I did the final read through of draft #6, I was never prouder of any writing I had ever done. It is the story I was meant to tell. I’ve told it the best way I know how, and I’m ready to share it with the world.

Oh, I’m not delusional. I know there will be more reworking to do down the road with an agent and editor. For now though, I will bask in the joy.


Next Jocosa of the Earrings Update: Submission fear



Bask in it J of the E, bask in it! Now, dear bloggowers, here's the picture you've all been waiting for. Here's a current pic of Jocosa's hair (and super groovy earring). 




and here's her hair a year ago:



Comments

Dawn Ius said…
Jocosa of the earrings' updates are fun to read. Thank you for sharing.
Jan Markley said…
Glad you like it Dawn - the next update will be a doozy!

Popular Posts