Year of the writer and a writer's year in review



By the powers vested in me by the blogosphere (which is pretty much none) I hereby declare 2011 the year of the writer! 


And why not. We've come through a year of change - a crop of new e-readers, a weekly 'the death of publishing as we know it' article somewhere, and bookstores closing down - we deserve our own year. 


The earth will continue to rotate around the sun (at least until 2012) so we might as well do what we do best - write! Be it a blog post, a work-in-progress or ubiquitous revisions, 2011 will be the year of the writer (and publishing contracts!). Let's hear it for writers groups, bloggers, writing conferences, books on writing, Sasquatch writing caves and butt in chair time - it all leads to our development as writers so let's celebrate all of it.  


2010 was a great writing year for me. My second novel Dead Bird through the Cat Door (Gumboot Books), the latest in the Megabyte Mystery series, was published.  


I embraced the international organization that is the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) and attended the New York conference and the SCBWI Symposium in Bologna where I mused about what would happen if rookie publishing mistakes were met with medieval torture techniques. Along the way I met up with some fellow SCBWI-ers in London, Candy Gourlay, Nick Cross, Jenny Woolf and Jackie Marchant


I did a number of school visits and taught classes on Writing with Humour where I mused on the top ten reasons I love being an author. I also attended the Surrey International Writers' Conference which is where things started happening for me a number of years ago.    


Alright, I wasn't going to put this in writing, but my goals for 2011 are to eat so many sour ju jubes my eyelids twitch to finish the third book in the Megabyte Mystery Series Dead Bee in the Sarcophagus, finish a solid draft of a young adult work-in-progress that I won't reveal yet, and go to the LA SCBWI conference to get some feedback on the aforementioned y/a w-i-p. I also vow to occasionally wash my dishes and feed myself something other than sushi.


Here's to 2011! 


2010 was also the year we confirmed that cats are taking over the world cuddly, loyal animal companions. 
  

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy 2011! And yes--cats are taking over the world you know. They want us to be there cuddly companions. Good luck with your YA!
Jan Markley said…
Thanks Deb. I've uncovered their master plan and now I'm exposing it to the human world of cat lovers (oh, how we've been deceived). ;-j
Amie Kaufman said…
Woo, go 2011! Good luck with all your goals for next year!
Judith Graves said…
Loved this post - yes, indeed - we do seem to be of one mind on the writing issue. That's fab - 2011 is our year!

Also loved the small town post - I used to be like you until I moved to my small town and now I can't stand the city - too many people, everything moves to fast...lol...life, eh?
Dawn Ius said…
I love it - the Year of the Writer. I shall embrace it. Congrats on 2010 successes - and wishing you an amazing 2011!
Jan Markley said…
Thanks Amie - good luck for your goals for 2011! Yes, Judith, 2011 is our year. Maybe I'll visit your small town one day! Thanks Dawn, I'm sure you will have an amazing 2011 as well!
Katie Anderson said…
If you say that 2011 is the year of the writer, then I am more than happy to agree with you!
Fingers crossed that 2011 is a wonderful year for all of us writers (and well done on your successes in 2010).
Unknown said…
Have you read Lucy Coats' latest blog posts - she's predicted the year for writers - I'm feeling thoroughly depressed. Need chocolate. More chocolate.
Jan Markley said…
It sure is Katie! Fingers are firmly crossed at the knuckle (which makes it hard to writer) 2011 will be a great year for all of us.

Nicky - I just read Lucy's post - like her predictions especially the ones about social media. Yes, more chocolate, chocolate will perk you up!
Happy New Year, Jan! Here's to an amazing 2011.
Kat W said…
Wonderful post! Year of the writer - hurrah! And agree with your thoughts on cats (including the crossed out part. lol.)I love the photo with the cat amongst the books (is that your cute kitty?). My cat is still only 8 months & as he watches me read is prone to play with the turning pages and try and nibble covers.

Congrats on all you acheived in 2010 & best wishes for 2011 - I'm sure you'll do plenty more fab things.

Kat :-)
Jan Markley said…
Thanks Samantha - same back at you!

Kat: That's not my cat, but I have a shot of her on the bookshelf and a video of her eating my rejection letters! I'm planning on doing more fab things in 2011 for sure! (and I'm sure you are as well)!
Candy Gourlay said…
sorry, i'm late to this one! it's been a brilliant year in more ways than just the writing - this year i met a LOT of cool authors - and one of them was YOU!
Jan Markley said…
Awww, thanks Candy! I was happy to meet you and hang out with the other cool writers of SCBWI British Isles!

Popular Posts